Anyhow, back to the experiment. I took some vegetable oil (it was new, but the basic concept is the same) and some used lawn mower oil and then soaked a paper towel in each. I placed these in a busted crock pot as a containment system for the fire and then lit the toweling on fire with regular matches. After these were alight, I soaked some newspaper in the vegetable oil and added it. To finish off the spectacle, I drizzled the leftover vegetable oil into the flames. Then I started to play with my fire. Yes, playing with fire. I try to do it regularly. To add oxygen to the flames like a waste oil foundry would, I blew hard on the fire. The results were truly amazing. The flames lept up to at least 1 1/2 feet and magnified in intensity tenfold. They were extremely fierce and sometimes even white. I really wish I had pictures, because these flames were really great - especially when one considers that they came from just oil and paper towels. Thus, Experiment 16: Waste Oil (Heh Heh!) proved that waste oil:
- Burns nicely
- Combusts SUPER nicely with added oxygen
- Will most certainly melt iron, given insulation, enough oil, and a lot of air
Successful experiment! Time to make a proper burner for the oil in the style of "The Brute" from here!